SANGSTER CUP AND COMPETITION RULES
1. An inter-team knock-out competition for the Vernon Sangster Cup will be held each season at the discretion of the Management Committee.
2. The Management Committee shall comprise of at least 3 League Committee members and shall be responsible for the competition rules, draw and handicapping for each round. In addition, the Committee shall have the power at their absolute discretion to deal with all complaints for which express provision is not made. Similarly, they may inflict any penalty deemed suitable. Any decision reached by the Committee will be regarded as final.
3. Each club in membership of the Liverpool and District Badminton League shall be entitled to enter one team per league team in the competition. The appropriate fee must be in the hands of the Honorary Competition Secretary prior to or on the night of the Annual Fixture Meeting.
4. The draw will be made by the Management Committee prior to the Annual Fixture Meeting and will be displayed in the League Handbook.
5. Registration of players shall be as per ‘ Rules for Match play’ rules 18 & 19. (Registration of Players / Floaters.)
6. No player will be allowed to play for more than one club in the competition, except where permission has been sought, and approval granted, by the Management Committee.
7. Any club entering more than one team in the competition must register their players according to strength, i.e. 1st. team league players must represent the 1st. cup team etc.. No player registered for a higher team in the league shall be eligible to play for a lower team in the competition.
8. The Honorary Competition Secretary will notify all teams of their opponents and respective handicaps. The notification will confirm which team is at home, and it is the home teams responsibility for arranging venue and dates of all ties up to the final. The home team shall offer their opponents no less than 2 dates within the stipulated period for the completion of the round. Any failure to reach agreement over dates must be notified to the Honorary Competition Secretary immediately. Similarly, the agreed date must be notified by BOTH teams.
9. An official Score sheet will be sent to both teams, but it shall be the responsibility of the winning team to return it, duly completed, to the Honorary Competition Secretary within 72 hours of the completion of the match. The Score sheet shall be signed by representatives of both teams.
Also, remember to ENCLOSE A STAMPED, SELF ADDRESSED ENVELOPE WITH THE WINNING SCORE SHEET, any team not failing to do so, may be fined.
10. Teams shall consist of four men and four ladies and each match shall consist of eight events (four mixed, two ladies and two gents doubles). Each event shall consist of two games of 15 aces with the team gaining the most games being the winner. If both teams win eight games the match shall be decided on points.
11. Each Match will be handicapped on the plus/minus system and handicaps revised for each round.
12. The order of play and scoring shall be agreed between the opposing team captains prior to the commencement of the match. Umpires may be appointed, if agreed by both teams. Couples must be arranged in order of strength with the first ranked couple playing the opposing first couple, second ranked couple playing the opposing second couple, etc..
13. The names of all players should be entered on the official score sheet prior to the commencement of the match, and thereafter no substitute players are permitted for any reason.
14. In the event of injury or premature termination of any game, the retiring couple's score shall:-
a) If the game were completed, stand.
b) If the game were not completed, being recorded as a win for the opposing pair with the retiring couple's team being credited with their score at the time of injury.
If the retiring couple are unable to participate further, any unplayed games will be awarded to the opposing team, 15 aces to love.
15. The home team will provide shuttles of correct speed but, the cost of shuttles used for all matches, except the final, must be borne equally by both opposing teams.
16. The final will be played on a neutral court. The Management Committee will provide shuttles.
17. Starting times of Sangster Cup matches shall be as per ‘ Rules for Match play’ rule 13. (Starting Time of matches.)
18. Any points not covered by these rules shall be governed by the Liverpool and District Badminton League's rules for match play.
19. Failure to comply with any rule may entail the disqualification and/or a fine on the club committing the offence.